Friday, July 24, 2009

Am I the only one who cries?

I'll admit I'm a very sensitive person. I tend to let things get to me that the average person just ignores. I cry over road kill all the time. I don't care if it's your everyday pet or the local wildlife. It just plain and simple effects me. However, I was totally unprepared for the effect that a tiny baby deer would have on me. This little guy (or gal) couldn't have been but a few weeks old-it wasn't even as big as a Great Dane yet. Now I realize that in most areas deer are considered to be pest. True they will eat a garden in one feeding or put a major dent in ones fender, but for the most part the ones here eat the grasses in the open fields. It's not unusual to see small deer dead along the roadway so why when I saw this tiny creature dead in the middle of the road did it hit me so hard? Could it have been the mother in me crying for her baby? Was it just my tender nature? Was I thinking could it have been avoided? It was after all very foggy this morning and maybe Jr was just following mommy across a path that seemed safe to them both. All I know is that I can't seem to stop the tears whenever I think about that tiny image. No one stopping, no one caring as after all it was just another pest they didn't have to deal with.
By late afternoon all that was left of this baby was just the rust colored stain on the road.
Am I the only one who cries?

No comments: